Freelance Writer CV
Kate Goldstone – Freelance writer CV
- 9 O’ levels including Maths, English Literature and English Language (Middlesbrough)
- 3 A’ levels: Geology B, English Literature B, Art D (Middlesbrough)
- Arts Degree Foundation Course: graded A+ (Middlesbrough)
- BA Honours Degree in Graphic Design and Illustration, 2:1 (Brighton University College of Art and Design)
Life after art college
After art college I spent five years trying to make a living out of art. I hated it. The very fact of having to ‘create’ for money, to order, took all the joy out of it. I was miserable. So I decided to change tack.
Temping for an insurance company, I realised insurance was actually quite interesting. No, don’t laugh 😉 A year after joining Royal & Sun Alliance as a junior property insurance underwriter, I was snapped up by the head office direct marketing department. They spotted an innate talent for marketing long before I realised it myself.
I am also part-qualified as an Associate of the Institute of British Insurers, a professional qualification I took to prove that, despite my arts background, I had a businesslike head on my shoulders. I stopped taking the exams as soon as I moved into financial services direct marketing, since the qualification was no longer relevant enough to be worth the pain!
My copywriting and marketing career
Before staring out as a freelance writer in early 2006, I worked my way up the direct marketing corporate ladder. Starting with the most recent, I worked with:
- Sutton Winson Ltd, the insurance brokers, as Marketing Executive
- Folgate Warren Hill Risk Solutions Ltd, the insurance brokers, as Marketing Manager
- An internet start-up company, as part time Marketing Director (then the so-called internet bubble burst)
- London & Edinburgh, an insurance company, as Assistant Marketing Manager
- Cornhill Insurance as Marketing Controller
- CGA, an independent insurance brokerage, as Marketing Executive
- Royal & Sun Alliance, as Marketing Assistant
I also worked as a Direct Marketing Consultant, on a contract basis, for two and a half years with a diverse range of companies including various City financial services organisations and Nature magazine.
Feel free to ask questions and I’ll provide the fine detail.